Holidays are great, but the leftovers can be overwhelming. So in preparing for Christmas overcooking, I am planning out some easy ways to spruce up last nights feast. Instead of making a the expected turkey sandwich, add in some unexpected ingredients to give it a needed pick me up.
Chop about a cup of turkey into bite size pieces.
Chop up a 1/2 cup grapes.
Lightly toast 1/4 cup (combined) of Almonds and Happy Hemp.
Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and add 1 scoop of mayo and stir.
Serve on top of salad or add to a left over dinner roll.
I have a 4 day food hangover. URGH!! I think I have added to 2 inches to my waist size. I need healthy food stat. Nothing with gravy, butter, sugar or fat added. Need some veggies full of wholesome TLC. Winter squash is a perfect dish for a crisp winter night- after you go to the gym of course.
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, in pieces
- 1/4 cup Happy Hemp
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, grounded
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, grounded
- 1 Tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 cup brown and 1/2 wild rice to make one cup
- 2 cups water
- After cleaning the squash, cut in half along its length (top to bottom) and scoop out the seeds.
- Boil water in a covered cooking pot on the stove top. Add to seasonings, margarin and rice. Cover and reduce temperature to a simmer.
- Add raisins and onions. Simmer until all water is absorbed into the rice.
- Remove from heat and mix thoroughly. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Add walnuts and Happy Hemp to rice mix together.
- Stuff the squash halves with the rice mixture and lightly drizzle olive oil over top.
- Bake in a covered roasting pan at 350 for about 1 hour, or until the squash is tender.
I have been battling a cold all weekend. I am so frustrated that I always get sick right before the holidays. With friends and family on the way… I must will myself well!!! I have read there are two things you should do for a cold- feed it and work it out.
Work it out: So I got up at 5am this morning to attend boot camp. Being that I am under the weather, I crawled into bed at 8:30pm, so getting up was really not that bad. I headed in the cover of dark armed with my yoga matt, weights, and a roll of TP for nose blowing. Class was great… but I am pooped. I think a cold prefers light exercise, but no can do with the menu planned for this week. Must work out as to not gain 10 lbs after my thankful meal of way to many calories.
Feed it: The other cold remedy is feeding a cold….. I take this one very serious!!
So about every household has mashed potatoes on the menu this week. I always accidentally make to many (total lie.. I love my mashed pot!! ). So one of my favorite ways to re-purpose the papa’s is in a quiche.
- Take leftover mashed potatoes and pat out in a pie crust dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 min. You want it to be golden brown. Leave oven on.
- Next saute a handful of throughly washed spinach in a skillet over medium heat with 1 TBSP of olive oil. Place on top of potato crust.
- Then beat 6 eggs together with 3 TBSP of milk and pour over the spinach. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of grated monterey jack cheese over top, 1/4 cup of Happy Hemp and S&P. Place in over for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 min and serve. Enjoy!!
The holidays are an amazing time of year. Family’s coming together to share special moments, houses dance with lights, presents are wrapped, and children are a buzz with the anticipation of gifts. REALLY?
My family can be more like the Real Housewives of New Jersey. This is a guide line of how to get through the pending holiday season.
Recipes for Family Drama….
You would think after dealing with this for 30 + years I would be a pro, but every year I get caught in their divorced web. My mom and dad (love them) keep score. They each have a mental scoreboard in their heads. Documenting down to the second how much time I spend with their side of the family. I am unable to rise above the situation and become extremely stressed.
- Recipe for divorced parents: 1 glass of red wine and 2 TBSP’s of Happy Hemp. Happy Hemp is great for hormone fluctuation that may lead to outburst.
Family Members Who Do Not Speak:
Sister who don’t talk to brothers. Uncles who don’t talk to uncles. Siblings who don’t speak to in-laws. Take your pick we have them all. I am always trying to play the peace keeper between family members. During the holidays, I try to wipe the chalkboard clean of who did what to whom. I rally behind each trying to hypnotize them with memories from sweeter happier days. Needless to say, the peace keeper is not appreciated by either party. My good intentions are not welcomed and I end of usually starting a fight between the two. At least they are now speaking!!
- Recipe for Non-Speakers: A margarita and 2 TBSP’s of Happy Hemp. Happy Hemp is great for decreasing stressful tension.
Everyone in my family thinks they are a gourmet cook, however that is not the case. So we eat the over-salted, over-seasoned, over-cooked dish as not to upset the person. Somehow I feel like that is not the best way to handle the situation. I personally make up for the lack of taste by over complimenting them and encouraging them to quit their job and try out for Top Chef.
- Recipe for Bad Eats: Chamomile tea and 2 TBSP of Happy Hemp. Happy Hemp is great for digestion and upset tummy.
Annoying Family Members:
In my family we have the person who tries to make everyone get along. I… I mean the person tries to help the divorced be happy, which creates a fight. They also try to break long vows of silence between family members, which creates even more silenced drama. And if that is not bad enough they encourage bad habits to continues, such as cooking. They create holiday stress and sleepless nights amongst many.
- Recipe for Drama: Warm milk and 2 TBSP of Happy Hemp. Happy Hemp is great for insomnia.
So my advise to you this year is to keep your Happy Hemp close… 2 TBSP just might be the perfect recipe for the perfect holiday.
It has been awhile since I have posted a recipe for my meat lovers. This recipe should make up for the lost time. This dish sings flavor!! I am a newbie lamb lover. It is a great nutritional source for zinc and iron. This delicate red meat is great source of protein and easily prepared.
- 4 lamb loin
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup rosemary
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup Happy Hemp
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- In a food processor blend together pecans, rosemary, parsley, Happy Hemp, salt and pepper. Place on a plate.
- Coat each piece of lamb in dijon mustard and roll in the blended mixture. Be sure to coat all sides.
- Place loins in a baking dish and cook for 20 min (medium) or until desired doneness.
I am obsessed with cooking squash this past week. There are so many ways to enjoy and it is a simple hearty meal. I hate throwing away food, so today I whipped up a recipe with items I already had.
Here is what you are going to need:
1 Acorn Squash. 1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped. 2 celery stalks, chopped.
10 leaves of sage, chopped. 1/4 pecans, chopped. 1/4 cup Happy Hemp.
1 cup brown rice. Olive Oil. S&P.
In saucepan add 1 cup of brown rice and 2 cups of water. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
On medium heat drizzle olive oil and sauté Mushrooms and Celery together. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut squash in half and clean out the inside with a spoon.
Lightly coat the inside of the squash with olive oil.
Mix together the veggies, sage, brown rice, pecans and Happy Hemp.
Add salt and pepper to mix and stuff inside the squash halves.
Place in baking dish, cover with foil and cook for 45 min or until squash meat is easily pierced with a fork.
I am the queen of buying things that I never end up using. I am all over it the first week and then slowly I fall off the regiment. Commitment is not my thing, hence I am single. I have drawers full of lotions and potions promising to make me younger. I have a pantry of health food that will make you a better you but taste like dirt. All of these purchases end up migrating to the back of the shelves. I see them leering at me every time I open the door. Judging me for being a quitter.
I taste like dirt, but you will be skinny if you eat me!! No thanks.
When I first met hemp seeds, I was cautious to believe. Like many I did not know that hemp is also a food source, a super food at that. What super food do you know that taste good? In my head if it is good for you, then it must taste like shit. Well that is not the case with Happy Hemp. It is the real deal. The Chupacabra of health food.
The easy thing about Happy Hemp is you don’t have to do anything to it. You can literally eat straight out of the bag by the spoonful.
A spoonful of health.
Or easily added to any dish.
Add to Cereal
The goal is to get the Happy Hemp into your body.
Add to oatmeal
My commitment phobia issues of health food are a thing of the past.
To your health! xo Miko
Fall brings many things I love into season, but squash is probably at the top of the list. Squash has a warm nutty fall flavor that compliments a main dish or great as a meal. Today we are whipping up spaghetti squash with fresh sage.
Cut your squash length wise and remove seeds. Place in a baking dish cut side down.
Add 1/2 inches of water and bake at 350 for 45 min or until easily pierced with a fork.
scoop out the inside and place in a skillet (medium heat) with 2 TBSP of olive oil.
Add in 2 1/2 TBSP of fresh chopped Sage and 1/4 cup of Happy Hemp.
S&P to taste and serve hot.
I am a sucker for breakfast anytime of the day!! Especially a Mexican inspired breakfast.
Migas is one of my favorite dishes. Basically it is fancy scrambled eggs.
Simply cut up a 6 corn tortillas into strips. Place in skillet and over medium heat with 4 TBSP corn oil. Cook until crispy.
Add 3 beaten eggs to the crispy tortillas. Cook until the eggs are cooked evenly.
Final touch is sprinkle 2 TBSP Happy Hemp and S&P.
Enjoy with your favorite side… Avocado, black beans, pico!!
At market, I see lots of families. This is how the scenario goes…..
- Family approaches booth.
- Mom learns how great Happy Hemp is from yours truly.
- Mom samples HH. Smile and disbelief come over her face.
- Mom turns to son and says will you try this.
- Little Joey looks at HH like it is live worms with dirt and makes a horrible face at me.
- I smile (cause I am polite) and try to make little Joey change his mind.
- Not happening and I guess I can’t blame him. I probably would have done the same.
- Here is the solution to kids who no likey the health food.
Happy Hemp is the 007 of health food. You can sneak into their food without them knowing it!!
Happy Kids. Happy Mom. Happy Hemp.