Have you ever had an artichoke? NO? OH BOY…Trust me you are in for a real treat! This is one of my go to meals year round. You will be surprised how filling they are, plus how simple they are to make. Once you put on the stove, you can set the timer and go on will your biz. This is a great meal for all ages! Enjoy as a side, a starter or a full meal.
Happy Artichoke. Happy Anytime. Happy Hemp.
- 4 artichokes
- ¼ cup Happy Hemp
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Arrange the artichokes in a steamer basket set over at least 3 cups of water and steam, covered, until the leaves can be easily removed, about 1 hour. Let cool. About halfway through cooking check the water level and add more, if necessary.
- In a small bowl, stir together happy hemp and the tablespoon of boiling water.
- Toast the almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the almonds and add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the pan.
- Add onion and cook until beginning to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a bowl and let cool. In a food processor, grind the almonds until finely chopped.
- Add the happy hemp mixture, onion mixture, yogurt and parsley and puree until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the juice and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve with the artichokes.