I love chocolate, french fries, milkshakes, cheeseburgers, fried calamari, fried cheese, tater tots, pasta, red wine, white wine, beer, martinis, pie, butter, sour cream, mayonnaise, tacos, frito pie, fried chicken, biscuits and gravy, bacon, chips and dips, mashed potatoes, cream, cupcakes, hot chocolate and pizza.
“What the $@&#,” you ask? “You own a health food company. Aren’t you supposed to only eat veggies, recycle and knit the wool you eco trimmed off the sheep that only sleep on hemp fabric couches?” Yes and Yes, minus the sheep.
I am human and love a good cheeseburger and fries as much as the next guy, and yes, I eat farmers’ market veggies and recycle. I believe in moderation and I believe in doing or eating what you feel is right for you!! I love all those yummy dee-lish fried eats, but I enjoy them occasionally. I would be horribly fat, sick and nearly dead (PS, great movie) if I ate them every day, but at the same time, I know I can’t eat super healthy every day either. I need my fries to light the end of my tunnel. The scales of life should be balanced and you need an occasional reward for living a healthy life so go ahead and indulge in your guilty pleasures. (You might find that the healthier you become, the less frequently you crave junk food and that even your guiltiest of pleasures isn’t so bad for you after all.)
My rule: a life without a little bending of the rules and a little indulgence is not life worth living.
Here is a quick and easy little slice of indulgence with side of balance.
- frozen pizza (preferably organic; Full of Life is my favorite brand)
- cups of arugula, washed
- 1/2 cup purple onion, cut into 1” strips
- 1/2 lemon
- Olive Oil
- 1/4 Happy Hemp seeds, raw
- 1/4 grated parmesan
- Chili flakes optional
- Cook your frozen pizza following the box directions. Set aside.
- In a large bowl toss together arugula, onion, olive oil, lemon juice and Happy Hemp.
- Place salad mixture on top of the pizza. Sprinkle parmesan, chili flakes, salt and pepper on top according to your taste.
- Cut and enjoy a little slice of life in balance!