We’re feeling zesty this week at the office! The girls and I have been finding so many recipes lately with chickpeas, aka garbonzo beans, that we thought, why not just try them all? So get ready, because this week’s recipes are dedicated to chickpeas and hemp seeds baby! I had occasionally cooked with chickpeas in the past, but to be honest, never really looked into their nutritional benefits. When we decided to embark on this chickpea-a-thon I did some research and was pleasantly surprised with what I found…
1. Happy Hunger Control: With a powerful combination of fiber and protein, eating a little as half a cup can help surpress your appetite.
2. Happy Cholesterol Reduction: Reduce your risk for heart disease by lowering your cholesterol levels with just 3/4 cup of chickpeas.
3. Happy Boost: Great for boosting energy with it’s high iron content and trace mineral magnesese.
3. Happy Versatility: Chickpeas can be used in salads, soups, curries, chilis and stews. OR consider roasting them with your favorite savory spices…
So here we go. Day one: the perfect chickpea snack.
2 Cups cooked chickpeas
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Lemon for zesting
Sea salt to taste
Happy Hemp seeds, Raw
OPTIONAL: black pepper, paprika, oregano, cayenne, garlic powder, cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Dry chickpeas well on a paper towel. Try to remove any loose skins.
3. Place on a baking sheet that has been lightly rubbed with about (2) tbsp olive oil. Roll around to coat.
4. Sprinkle with seasonings of your choice. I used cayenne & Happy Hemp seeds, toss well to coat.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, toss well and flip, then bake for about 15 minutes more, until crisp and crunchy looking.
6. Remove from the oven and transfer to a bowl.
7. Add the grated lemon zest and toss into the hot chickpeas and allow to cool.