Ever ponder the history of frozen bananas? Well even if you answered no, I’m going to enlighten you with some banana history!
Don Phillips, aka the frozen banana king, opened the very first banana stand, with the most creative name in history, The Original Frozen Banana. He wheeled out the stand in early 1940’s on Balboa Island in Orange County, California. His idea was so inspiring that a man by the name of Bob Teller ditched his dream job of manufacturing car seat belts to open his own frozen banana stand, The Original Banana Rolla Rama! He thoughtfully opened up shop directly across the street from Phillips stand… drama!
However as the years passed, the world wasn’t big enough for two frozen banana kings. Teller bought out Philip’s business shortly after he passed and expanded to multiple locations.
To this day, frozen bananas are a tradition on Balboa Island.
5 Large Bananas, peeled
1 Package (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/3 Cup almond butter
1 Cup Happy Hemp seeds, raw
Optional toppings: nuts, sprinkles, coconut flakes, sliced fruit
1. Melt chocolate in double broiler, then add almond butter.
2. Using tongs, dip bananas into chocolate and cover completely.
3. Pour Happy Hemp seeds onto a plate and spread evenly.
4. Roll chocolate dipped bananas in hemp seeds, and/or other desired toppings!
5. Place chocolate dipped bananas on plate & freeze for 2 hours, or until firm.
They can be served whole or cut into slices!
Enjoy!! & Cheers to Don Phillips (: