Holy cowbells I may never eat turkey again! How did I end up with so much? Nonetheless, I refuse to waste food…period. So I need a recipe that won’t make me feel like I am in leftover mode. As a huge fan of a hot pot of soup on a cold day, I figured I would do a spin on one of my favorite soups and substitute the chicken for turkey.
Here’s what ya need:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 quarts chicken stock or veggie stock
- 2 cups wild rice
- 1 pound of turkey, cut into large pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- Happy Hemp seeds, raw
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine 1 tbsp olive oil, celery, onion, carrots and garlic. Heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add stock, turkey, rice and bay leaves to the pot. Bring to a boil. reduce heat, cover, and simmer for one hour.
- In a separate sauce pan, sauté the mushrooms in remaining olive oil and set aside.
- Serve the soup topped with the mushrooms and a sprinkle of Happy Hemp seeds to each bowl.